Monday, July 19, 2010

a few extra details...


Since Melody seems to be taking an extended nap, I decided to write a few more details. So weird that the Bachelorette has already eliminated a contestant tonight and it is only 4:30 in the afternoon here (I guess the good part about that is I found out on facebook and now I don't have to watch the show!). So, Melody and I took in the Kapaa board walk again last night. You may remember from an earlier post that we had seen a monk seal, but I thought it was dead...well, turns out it was just sleeping!!! We saw another one last night and the area all around it was roped off with a sign. It said that the seal was there for rest before its trek to Ni'ihau to give birth and it needed undisturbed rest to be able to deal with the sharks...that was exciting!

I found my favourite spot on the island last week. Anini Beach. I had read that it was a good spot for kids, so when Jon went horseback riding, I decided to take Melody and check it out. When we got to the actual beach, it was a bit busier than I liked, so we kept driving down the coast. Eventually, we found a shady little spot, where the black volcanic rocks had made a lagoon. Shallow, warm water, no waves, perfect for a little baby just learning to run! It was absolute heaven, no one in sight, except for a guy who was spear fishing. We took Jon back on another day. That is when we saw the little dog that had chased a chicken right into the ocean. I have never seen a chicken swim before!

On Friday, we tagged along to record Jon's skydive. I will admit, this made me very nervous, but because the weather was so overcast, we spent a lot of time hanging out with the crew. Picture this: a red, dusty field of sand, right on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Small landing strip, with a small plane that had teeth painted on the front. In the middle of the field was a little trailer and awning where everyone hung out: Dave the amped up owner, Ian the pilot, Crystal the parachute packer and Ed and Enzo, the divers. Because all of the jumps were backed up, there were also the clients: a young couple (her first jump, not his), an older man and his young wife (they had three kids and he had spent a stint in jail for medicare fraud, it was their second jump) and another couple that owned a kayak business out of Kauai. Needless to say, it was an entertaining few hours, this place could be the setting of a pretty great reality show. By the time Jon jumped, my nerves had disappeared because I had seen 6 successful jumps, and was on friendly terms with the staff....so when the opportunity came for me to take the plunge (a cancellation), I found myself in borrowed running shoes and a harness. I can't quite explain the decision making process (I think it took place over several hours in fact), I truly believed that I would return to my family safely, having accomplished something only a few people ever get to do. So, all suited up, Enzo, Ian and I headed out to the little plane. The experience was intense, and amazing, of course I purchased the dvd, so the memory won't ever fade. After the free fall is over and the chute opens it is like everything stands still, that part was amazing. Unfortunately, the rest of the way down we had to take a few turns and my motion sickness kicked in full swing. At least I didn't throw up on Enzo (he said customers do it all the time), I waited until we were safely on the ground. Unequivocally the most insane thing I will ever do. I think I will be very happy to keep both feet planted firmly on the ground for the rest of my life!

4 comments:

  1. You really amaze me Krista. I'm sure both your families are relieved that they didn't know about this beforehand. What guts you have. That's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you,Jon ,Amanda and Sean MUST be ready for the amazing race now!!!
    I too am glad I didn't know before hand any of you guys were doing this -haha!!! Whether it is jumping off cliffs in Turkey or skydiving in Hawaii!!!LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Seamanda for paving the way!

    ReplyDelete